In 1923, Louis H. Parberry, Sr. opened Parberry Iron & Metal, which would someday become Northwest Recycling. Mr. Parberry was an entrepreneur with very diverse interests. Not only did he run a successful scrap recycling business, he bought and sold used furniture and other household items. The scrap business eventually evolved to include new steel sales and the scrap yard was moved to its current location in Old Town. During the 1950’s, Louis H. Parberry Jr. (in photo at right) took the reins from his father, further diversifying the business to include a retail hardware store and other retail ventures in Old Town. He was known to the locals as “Mayor Lou” and his generosity and support of the community are still felt today.
In the early 1980’s, Louis Jr. brought Northwest Recycling to Old Town. Northwest Recycling now serves as the operating business of Parberry’s, Inc. Northwest Recycling and Parberry’s, Inc. are managed by Louis’ son, Brad Parberry, and Louis’ grandson, Marty Kuljis. With the help of family members Carol Parberry and Louis Parberry III, Northwest Recycling proudly provides recycling services for Bellingham and Whatcom County.